Saturday, April 12, 2014

Week 23 - Fun with Justin, Jordan, and General Conference

Hey family! Hope everything is going well. Anyhow, onto my week.

So on Wednesday, after emailing we went to Chinatown and bought some fun looking fake designer glasses as an apartment, and then we went up to the temple to celebrate Sister Jensen's birthday. We then went off to Central Park and wandered around the southern part of it near what's called the Pool of Bethesda. We took lots of pictures, and then we went to our dinner appointment, which we were about 10 minutes late for and the member had already left, despite us calling him and saying we'd be a little late. Sigh. So Elder Potter and I ended up just going back to our house to have dinner.

Thursday, we studied, and then went to the church for our lesson with Vlad, and then after that started preparing materials for the APF we were doing that afternoon. We went as a district to a place called Tompkins Square Park and did some contacting there for about an hour and a half, then Elder Potter and I headed off to a lesson with Andre. On the way there, he called us and said he wasn't able to meet with us today, so we went over to a train station, and headed over to the west side for dinner. We got there a bit early, so we went to a nearby library and Elder Potter was able to help out with a Portuguese online event. We then went to dinner at a place called Blue Smoke (it's with the YSA member again), and had some barbecued stuff. We went from there to home.

Friday, we did our studies, and then went to the 15th street chapel and I went on a split with Elder Marshall. We then went back to the apartment and dropped off his stuff, and then went back to Union Square for lunch with (drumroll please) Justin Heftel! He's been doing well, is having fun at college, so it was great to see him and be able to talk with him. After lunch, we called some media referrals (and actually got an appointment with one!), and then went and checked to see if Karlyn and Aleta were home, which they weren't. We then went to dinner at Sis. Foreman's, and while we were there we got a call from President Morgan that there was someone in the CCU who needed a blessing, so we immediately went over there and gave her one. After that, we went home.

Saturday was fun, as we had general conference. We did studies, went and unsplit at the chapel, grabbed some lunch, and then went up to 87th to watch conference. I loved the talks, I have lots of notes that I'll send in a separate email just so you guys can see what stood out to me, but I think some of my favorite talks from Saturday were Elder Holland's, Elder Anderson's, Elder Hale's, Elder Zwick's, and pretty much all of priesthood session (poor Pres. Uchtdorf not getting to fly the President's plane). Watching conference here was interesting, since the times are 12-2, 4-6, 8-10 for the Saturday sessions, so Morning Session wasn't even in the morning and we got home super super late. Anyhow, in between morning(ish) and afternoon session, we watched the World Report as well as everything else they showed (they showed a cool video which talked about the testimony of John the Revelator, which was done by the same actors and such who did the Bible videos), and then in between afternoon and priesthood, we flew (I wish literally) down to the financial district for dinner with the Cannon's, and then ran back up to the chapel (thankfully not literally) with equal speed. After priesthood, we went home for the night.

Sunday, we got up and did our studies, then went off to conference. I liked a lot of the talks from the Sunday sessions as well, including pretty much all of Sunday morning, and President Packer's, Elder Corbridge's, and Elder Aidukaitis'. In between sessions, Sister Yamada made us lunch, so we stayed at the church and ate lunch with the people there. After conference, we went on a mini split with Elders Fronk and Longo because they had two places they needed to be at the same time, so Elder Longo and I went off to a dinner appointment with some of their members, and then we unsplit and went home.

Monday, I did nothing. Literally. As in, Elder Berryman was sick, there was zone meeting which Elder Kroff had to go to, and thus I was elected to stay home with Elder Berryman all day. I got some sleep in, read some of Jesus the Christ (again), watched pretty much every church movie in existence, slept some more, and so forth. Then towards the end of the day, I started getting sick. Whoopdeedoo.

Tuesday I was coughing up a storm, but we went out and did stuff anyhow, so we went to church at about noon to go pick up mail, had lunch, did some online proselyting, got weekly planning done, and then went to dinner at the Winder's, after which we came home.

K, so, a bit of a story. I think you guys have heard me talk about my friend Jordan before (the one from my group of friends at home). So, last P Day, I got an email from him! He was interested in how I was doing, and then started asking questions about what I do. This eventually led to him asking what we believe, so I gave a shortened version of the Restoration lesson, and then didn't hear back, so I wasn't sure whether he was just not interested or what. So, I got a reply at church yesterday, and he found it super interesting, but even cooler than that was this weekend, missionaries knocked on his door. While he was with a friend who's a member (who didn't refer him either). And they'd just happened to go back home to grab something when they stopped by. So yeah, he now has a Book of Mormon and wants me to keep teaching him, and I may get the opportunity to Skype into lessons when the missionaries over there do them. Super super super super super super cool!!!!!! He said he's been praying a lot in the last few months for guidance in his life, and it seems like he's taking this as his answer (which it is!). So yeah, fun stuff going on.

Today, we got up and did laundry, and then came here. Anyhow, hope you're having a good week, and I'll talk to you all next week!

Elder Ralph Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment